About the Role
Leeds Sixth Form College are looking for an outstanding Coach to join our pastoral team. You will be responsible for a caseload of students who need coaching as part of their planned learning programme as well as delivering tutorials to student groups.
Leeds Sixth Form College prides itself on its students’ journeys to success. It is driven by hard work and the strong belief that every student has the capacity to excel, regardless of their background. We offer a range of A level, vocational and GCSE subjects and are committed to providing an exceptional experience, with outcomes to match.
What You Will Do
- You will track and monitor progress towards achievement using assessment grades in ProMonitor markbooks, ensuring learner progress is tracked against their target grades and be responsible for achieving student outcomes.
- You will assist with initial, diagnostic and formative assessment and provide support for students with their learning, using on-line support technology and education platforms.
- You will identify where students require an intervention and convene small groups of students to work on a specific topic related to their course and facilitate student learning and development through highly effective and supportive coaching / mentoring techniques.
- You will identify barriers to learning and implement a range of strategies to overcome barriers with students and develop and agree individual learning plans, identify SMART targets and set aspirational goals for students, liaising with subject specialists and other academic and support staff.
- You will keep confidential records and provide reports and statistical data as required. You will support the increasing use of technology for independent/online learning whilst maintaining the quality of the learning experience and manage learning in a variety of spaces, creating a positive and focussed experience.
- You will have good organisational skills and be able to prioritise work to meet deadlines, using your own initiative where needed.
- You will have Englsih and Maths at level 2 and a commitment to achieveing level 3 within 2 years if not already achieved.
- You will have a qualification in supporting teaching and learning / teaching assistant / or learning, mentoring/coaching qualification or commitment to achieving within 1 year of appointment.
- You will have a sound subject knowledge and curriculum and assessment frameworks and be able to demonstrate significant experience or knowledge of how to work successfully with different groups of students enrolled on our courses.
- You will be able to effectively coach students and have excellent interpersonal skills, being able to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders, including students, college staff, parents and employers.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Leeds City College is one of the largest further education institutions in the country and is one of the biggest providers of apprenticeships regionally.
We provide a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. Leeds City College’s values put students first and are at the heart of everything the college does.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. We offer a wide range of job vacancies, and our large size means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.