About the Role
Harrogate College is a values led college that intends to change peoples lives through high quality education. The college is community focused using its employer network to shape the curriculum to meet local needs. The college offers a wide range of vocational and technical education for 16-18 year olds, adults and apprentices.
The Deputy Directors will lead all aspects of curriculum with line management responsibility for the college management team and budgetary reasonability for curriculum income and expenditure.
The college focuses on being responsive to skills agenda in North Yorkshire, therefore the Deputy Director will work with local and regional stakeholders to ensure the curriculum is aligned to the local skills improvement plan, priority growth sectors for North Yorkshire.
What You Will Do
- The Deputy Director will line management the college management team and lead all aspects of the curriculum, quality and student experience. This will include ensuring the curriculum intent is aligned to local and regional priorities, that the curriculum implementation is high quality so all students enjoy their time in college, make progress and develop the knowledge, behaviour and skills to progress to positive destinations.
- The Deputy Director, will lead quality improvement across the curriculum and promote a learning culture for all staff through academic and industrial updating, leading to high performing teams.
- There is budgetary responsibility for the income and expenditure generated through the curriculum. This will require the Deputy Director to work with the Principal and finance colleagues to ensure the curriculum budget is managed through the year to meet target.
- As a key stakeholder in Harrogate, the role will require the Deputy Director to represent the college with local and regional stakeholders to ensure the college is able to deliver its mission and change lives through high quality education.
- You will be an excellent communicator, able to build relationships internally and externally, while role modelling leadership that supports the college to lives its values to deliver its mission.
- You will have experience of managing in at least two of the following curriculum areas, study programmes, adults and apprenticeships. You will have experience of curriculum development, successful quality improvement and working with stakeholders for the benefit of the student experience.
- You will have budgetary experience, be able to use data to support decision making and feel comfortable to make decisions that supports the colleges financial sustainability and maximises the student experience.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes. Harrogate Campus also has free onsite parking for all staff.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Harrogate College has excellent facilities and provides a professional and friendly environment. We pride ourselves on working closely with employers, the local community and other stakeholders to provide curriculum and support that meets the needs of our students. We are working towards becoming a recognised centre of green excellence which is supported through our sustainability pledge to become a net zero college by 2035.
We have recently been awarded £16m of government funding to transform our campus. The energy-efficient new building will include a workshop unit that provides large scale facilities aligned to industry needs including advanced manufacturing, low carbon construction, retrofit, sustainable energy and bioeconomy, health science and hospitality. This will complement the college’s existing tech centre which is home to its motor vehicle, electrical, joinery and welding workshops.
Choosing to work for Harrogate College means that you will be part of a nurturing, inclusive and progressive learning environment. We hope that we will be part of the next step in your career and look forward to welcoming you to Harrogate College.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.