About the Role
This role is a part-time 22.5 hours per week over 3 days, term time only (39 weeks) opportunity in our brilliant SEND Department.
Harrogate College SEND Department is a small, friendly team of professionals working to support students with needs across our variety of learning programmes. We provide help in class to scaffold learning, mentoring for those struggling with the social and emotional demands of college life, referrals to external and internal professionals for assessment (including for exams access arrangements) and work hard to ensure the inclusion of all our learners, particularly those with an Educational, Health and Care Plan.
We enjoy close, positive relationships with our curriculum colleagues and external partners. This enables us to maximise the learning outcomes of all our young people with Special Educational Needs with a view to their gaining employment in their chosen vocation and prepare them for their onward journey into adulthood.
What You Will Do
- Providing in and out of class support to meet identified need of students who have high needs.
- Providing curriculum teachers/assessors and SEND team members with verbal and written reports on students who have high needs or SEND and feedback against strategies used and progress towards outcomes on the EHCP.
- Attend annual reviews as requested and attend student meetings as required to update on progress and behaviours.
- Assist with personal care and medical requirements as necessary. Support students whom are less mobile and may use wheelchairs.
- Experience of working with students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Experience of student-centred approaches to learning and different styles
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to work positively & effectively as a member of a team and on own initiative
- High expectations of achievement and progress for the students you work with
- Able to work flexibly across the curriculum with young people with a wide range of needs
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes. Harrogate Campus also has free onsite parking for all staff.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Harrogate College has excellent facilities and provides a professional and friendly environment. We pride ourselves on working closely with employers, the local community and other stakeholders to provide curriculum and support that meets the needs of our students. We are working towards becoming a recognised centre of green excellence which is supported through our sustainability pledge to become a net zero college by 2035.
We have recently been awarded £16m of government funding to transform our campus. The energy-efficient new building will include a workshop unit that provides large scale facilities aligned to industry needs including advanced manufacturing, low carbon construction, retrofit, sustainable energy and bioeconomy, health science and hospitality. This will complement the college’s existing tech centre which is home to its motor vehicle, electrical, joinery and welding workshops.
Choosing to work for Harrogate College means that you will be part of a nurturing, inclusive and progressive learning environment. We hope that we will be part of the next step in your career and look forward to welcoming you to Harrogate College.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.