About the Role
The School of Hair, Beauty & Media Makeup combines creativity, industry knowledge, practical experience, and people skills to produce qualified experts in the beauty industry. Our courses are run in-line with the latest fashion and beauty trends.
Printworks Campus is a stone’s throw away from Leeds Dock and the beautiful banks of the River Aire. It’s also the home to Kitchen & Bar and Salon & Spa.
We have stunning salon facilities for our students to train in as well as cutting-edge makeup studios. Our students gain experience in a flourishing salon and spa business.
What You Will Do
- Responsible for a caseload of students,
- Ensuring that each student receives the tutorial support they require to meets their needs, along with sufficient advice and guidance to enable them to achieve and progress using coaching techniques
- Liaise closely with curriculum staff and parents about student progress and development and address any learning needs identified.
- Work within curriculum areas to deliver student induction activities and help ensure students settle into their study programmes.
- Play a key role in maximising student retention, achievement and progression in line with the college standards and targets
- Maths and English GCSE at Level 2/grade C or above and a willingness to improve in one or both disciplines to level 3 or above
- Supporting teaching and learning / teaching assistant / or learning, mentoring/coaching qualification or commitment to achieve this within 1 year of appointment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders, including students, college staff, parents and employers
- Able to engage and motivate students to succeed
- Knowledge of blended learning strategies and how these can be used to improve student retention and attainment
- Working knowledge of the use of new technologies and platforms to develop skills and knowledge in students
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Leeds City College is one of the largest further education institutions in the country and is one of the biggest providers of apprenticeships regionally.
We provide a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. Leeds City College’s values put students first and are at the heart of everything the college does.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. We offer a wide range of job vacancies, and our large size means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.