About the Role
Please note that due to closure over the Christmas break candidates will not be contacted until Week Commencing 8th January 2024
Harrogate College is a fantastic place for both study and work, with learners who thrive in an environment where staff promote high challenge and offer generous support. Harrogate College delivers GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications to 16-18 learners, adults and apprentices.
Achieving their Maths qualification can be life changing to students who wish to go on to further study, into employment or higher education. Our team is committed to developing student belief in their own ability, engaging them in lessons and encouraging progress. We believe in creating a positive, inclusive learning environment, using restorative and supportive approaches to develop learners' confidence. Students are encouraged to believe in their own unique abilities and talents and to be proud of the progress they make. Those who work at Harrogate are always keen to share and celebrate the successes of learners within the department, the college and across the wider Luminate Education Group.
We are looking for an inspiring Maths teacher who has a passion for teaching and learning along with the ability to engage and motivate students. The ideal candidate will be passionate about students, ensuring that they are provided with an outstanding learning journey whilst at Harrogate College. The role will involve working across the college to deliver GCSE and Functional Skills Maths to learners in all curriculum areas.
What You Will Do
- Plan, prepare and develop effective schemes of work, lesson plans, teaching and learning resources including the development of on-line learning resources.
- Deliver inspiring sessions across the curriculum using a wide range of teaching methods to engage and develop learners
- Create effective assessment activities, provide developmental and timely feedback to motivate and inspire learners to improve
- Develop and strengthen relationships with students and provide support and encouragement to ensure successful outcomes.
- Join a friendly, supportive, hard-working team who are passionate about developing learners self-esteem, abilities and progress.
- You will have experience teaching Maths at a range of levels including GCSE.
- You will be qualified to degree level in Mathematics or a related subject.
- You will hold, or be working towards a recognised teaching qualification.
- You will have excellent classroom management skills, a commitment to creating an inclusive, nurturing environment for students.
- You will apply restorative practice to your communications with students and colleagues and be a proactive, flexible and supportive member of the team.
- You will also have experience of quality assurance processes and contribute enthusiastically to the overall success of the department and college and all students.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes. Harrogate Campus also has free onsite parking for all staff.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Harrogate College has excellent facilities and provides a professional and friendly environment. We pride ourselves on working closely with employers, the local community and other stakeholders to provide curriculum and support that meets the needs of our students. We are working towards becoming a recognised centre of green excellence which is supported through our sustainability pledge to become a net zero college by 2035.
We have recently been awarded £16m of government funding to transform our campus. The energy-efficient new building will include a workshop unit that provides large scale facilities aligned to industry needs including advanced manufacturing, low carbon construction, retrofit, sustainable energy and bioeconomy, health science and hospitality. This will complement the college’s existing tech centre which is home to its motor vehicle, electrical, joinery and welding workshops.
Choosing to work for Harrogate College means that you will be part of a nurturing, inclusive and progressive learning environment. We hope that we will be part of the next step in your career and look forward to welcoming you to Harrogate College.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.